Monday, December 13, 2004

It's a Christmas Tree, No a Holiday Tree!

12/13/04


Christmas is under attack all over the country. There are many documented accounts of banning of Nativity scenes, the singing of Christmas songs, the banning of Merry Christmas by stores and even the renaming of the Christmas Tree to the Holiday Tree ( I’m sorry, which holiday was that?). My question is how do we stop this silliness?

This country is 80% Christian. It seems foolish to me that a majority that large is unable to display the symbol of their religion during the holiday season. No, I don’t want to require everyone to believe. I just want to have the right to tell someone Merry Christmas without worrying about their beliefs. If you are offended by it, tough. I am offended by your trying to make me give up my celebration.

I have heard of several challenges to this and frequently the challenger wins. The problem with challenging the Scrooges is that it is expensive. They usually have the support of the ACLU or other groups. They seem to be working in an attempt to totally remove any religious connections to the government (if, that is, they are Christian connections. Jewish, Islamic, others are excused!). Their motives are not important. I don’t care.

How do you fight the Principal of your local elementary school? You have to put pressure on him from above. How do you do that? You have to work in the local elections to force potential school board members to commit to not pushing politically correct pap.

The problem is how to make that happen. Unless there is some organized pressure, that will never happen. People trying to get elected think they must not offend anyone. Until someone comes up with a process to force politicians to at least state where they stand on this and hold their feet to the fire, it will not stop. I don’t know how to do that but I really would like to have someone come up with a process or a plan of some sort. Any ideas?

I want my Christmas back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home