Thursday, January 17, 2008

A New Election

1/16/08

It seems that the state is going to be mostly ignored in the upcoming primary. Since we are one of many in “Super Tuesday” any attention we get will be badly diluted. Nonetheless, I want to get my two cents in.

I was a founding supporter of one candidate, ABH—Anyone But Hillary (thanks for the title to Herman Cain). I am starting to think that Barack Obama would be as bad as Hillary.

The common wisdom is that Republicans are going to have a bad year. I certainly hope not. I am a Libertarian at heart but Ron Paul (former Libertarian) is too much. The overriding issue has to be the protection of the country from militant Islamofascists and the protection of our borders. The two are closely related but different issues. Ron Paul has the notion that if we bring all of our troops back and tell the world “we’re sorry about whatever we did” that everyone will love us again and we won’t have any more problems. (Dennis Kucinich are us!)

Rudy is one I could vote for but his campaign is floundering now and may not recover. He is not a conservative but I think he would be strong on my two issues. It would be hard for anyone to challenge his record in New York.

Mitt Romney seems to be a fully acceptable conservative. Unfortunately, he has been branded as a flip-flopper. Not true but some people think it is so. (Note: flip-flop is when you go back and forth on an issue, not when you change your mind and stay there.) He is probably the best with respect to the economy.

John McCain would be strong on the defense of the country except for the border issue. Unfortunately, we have McCain-Feingold, McCain-Kennedy and the vote against the tax breaks. No chance, no matter how much he is admired for his Vietnamese heroism. So, sorry John.

Oh yes, I almost forgot Thompson. I like him and could easily support him. I like the idea of him having to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the election. I don’t know how true that is but a fun thought! The only problem is that he still supports McCain-Feingold but I can let one problem slide.
That brings us to Huckabee. The best thing I can say about him is that he supports the Fair Tax proposal. I think that would be a great thing if it passed but it is not enough to support Huckabee. It is a death knell to me that he endorsed the in-state tuition for illegal aliens. He seems to be a populist that is extremely good in saying the right things to the right crowd. He is the candidate that the press loves (along with McCain) but that is a strike against him. There are hints of impropriety in Arkansas and I just don’t trust him. One of the things I have always worried about is a theocracy taking hold in the nation. I don’t think Mike Huckabee is the start of that but….
I could support Giuliani or Thompson. I prefer Romney. I will support any Republican. Remember, ABH or maybe ABH or O. After all, it is only the country at stake. Vote. Vote smartly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time you got in the “Race".

Rudy appears tired. They even mentioned that he has only showed up once on "Hannity & Colmes" in spite of an open invitation.

Mitt Romney was quoted as saying “Do not blame the pharmaceutical companies” during the Republican debate before New Hampshire. Certainly looks like that statement cost him many supporters. Recently he got very upset when questioned that he is controlled by lobbyist.

Thompson got in the race too late.

Huckabee and "hints of impropriety in Arkansas" Could you add a little detail?

The latest theory I have heard is that the Democrats will nominate Obama and the Republicans will nominate Huckabee which leaves the door wide open for middle of the road independent Bloomberg.......

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home