Friday, January 06, 2006

Letter 16

1/5/06

Hey,
Just wanted to say hi and let you know how I'm doing. I haven't been able to get on her too much since I completely destroyed my laptop. I won't get into that too much, just make sure you never drop one. I'm doing okay. I have a room that I share with one other person, kind of reminds me of my college days, except no alcohol, no girls, and no fun. In case you didn't know, I'm located on Camp Falcon which is on the southern end of Baghdad. Not one of the larger bases, but at least we have a PX and a coffee shop. We have the only dining facility that requires eye wear in order to eat, but other than that the food isn't too bad. Not much here in the way of vegetation, just rocks and a lot of dirt. Baghdad is a wonderful place and you should come visit me. People here don't like dogs because they are filthy, yet they scavenge through the dump (which can be found on every street corner). Let's not even talk about how they never use toilet paper and just go to the latrine with a bottle of water. In case you didn't know, its to wash their hand when they are done using it. Of course they don't use utensils when they eat either, so washing their left hand with their right one and some running water probably isn't the best thing to do before going to eat. Other than that, they seem to be really friendly always coming up and shaking your hand and stuff. I've learned a few words in Arabic such as Hello, Goodbye, How are you, I'm good/bad, my numbers up through ten and a few odd words. I haven't learned words like soap, toilet paper, toothpaste, and deodorant yet, I'm not sure they translate. I've also learned how to write numbers and my name in Arabic. Well, I just wanted to let you all know I'm doing fine, no dysentery yet. Take care and please feel free to write me anytime and I'll get back as soon as I can. Here's my mailing address in case I didn't get it out to you.
Billy Engle
4th BDE CDO SPTT
Unit# 42508
APO AE 09361-2508

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home